Last December, I bought a cheap-ass graphics tablet for Christmas. One thing I learned about cheap-ass tablets, unfortunately, is that they’re pretty tough to draw with. They just can’t match the comfortable feel of putting a pencil to paper. They are, however, serviceable enough to practice painting on Photoshop with. This is something I came up with during my daily hour of practice:
Whee! A zmobeh!
Now I’m not usually proud of my drawings/paintings, but I feel like this shows some improvement on my part. Since I’m prone to forget, I’m putting down the different steps I took to make this to serve as a reminder. Hopefully, I get better at this!
I started out with a blob of color to get the shape I wanted for the head. Since it was a zombie, I figured I could get away with being a little unrealistic with the anatomy. Also, my anatomy is wonky and needs practice. The color I used was my usual tan skin tone, with the saturation dropped by 10 or 20 points to make it look a little ashen.
Next, I painted shadows over the blobs, keeping a rough idea of the light’s position in mind. There are probably some errors there, but I’m cutting myself some slack because this is more of a sketch. The color is the same as the skin, but with the brightness reduced by 15-25 points (not sure). I was able to stay within the lines by ctrl-clicking the blobs to select their shapes.
Holy crap! How did it get to that? With the shadows in place, I reduced the brush’s opacity to ~28% and started roughly blending the colors together. To do this, I stroked the brush partially over an area with a different color, and then “picked up” the resulting color overlap by alt-clicking. I continued to do this until I got the effects I wanted. If the brushstrokes seem messy to you, that’s because I started getting lazy. 😛
The lazy hair technique works fine in making lazy backgrounds, too! I chose two muted shades of red, lowered the brightness, and literally went wild with the strokes. I did this primarily to avoid having to clean up the hair. 😛
One thing that bugs me is that the painting looks tons better when it’s halved in size. I need to practice making large things look just as detailed as the small stuff. Other than that, though, I’m pretty pleased with how things turned out. I hope my abilities haven’t plateaued yet, ’cause I’m actually starting to enjoy practice now!